While handling patients all health care staff need to follow certain rules and guidelines. These guidelines protect medical staff against infectious diseases and are known as universal precautions.
The OSHA (Occupational and Health Administration) has formulated some guidelines to ensure protection for employees against communicable diseases such and HIV, Hepatitis B, C and other more dangerous diseases. All healthcare employees are to be trained about the different proceduresthey have to practice to be safe.
Most training courses take place in class rooms. However, there are some organizations that provide universal precautions training classes online. The online classes are convenient and popularas you can complete the course according to your own schedule. Nevertheless, it is advisable to undertake the training from esteemed organizations.
There are 5 important things you need to look for in a universal precautions training:
• If you are looking for convenience, you can enroll in an online course. You can login from anywhere and at any time. You can follow your own schedule and the course material can be downloaded on to your computer. The best online training class is the one offered by the American Red Cross. They will provide you with a certificate when you have successfully finished the course.
• The training includes information about the best way to handle blood and other body fluids. Knowledge regarding protective gear, hygiene and discarding of sharp instruments will also be imparted as part of the training. Following the correct procedures will ensure your safety while dealing with infected material.
• It is mandatory to don protective clothing while treating patients. It is the primary procedure to follow for your own safety against infection. The most common protective gear that medical staff wear are gloves, aprons, caps, face masks, and eye shields. This training will enable you to understand the correct procedures to follow during putting-on and taking-off the protective gear.
• This training also conveys information about the various blood borne pathogens and their pathways of transmission. Other than this, you will be educated regarding procedure to be followed by you if are accidentally subjected to body fluids.
• You will be taught a control plan to be used in case of exposure. Accidents can occur any time so it is good to be prepared with an exposure control plan. The correct process will be drilled into you.
The awareness of these different procedures will encourage people to follow them. This will decrease the chances of subjection to infectious diseases and assure protection of all health care employees. Other than health care personnel universal precautions training will be helpful for housekeeping staff, fire fighters and emergency department employees because they are often exposed to infected blood and body fluids.
You will be able to finish this training within a few sessions. However, different organizations have different schedules. After completing the course you have to undergo a test and get the required marks. Once to have the marks, your completion certification will be handed over to you. With the certification in hand, your safety is ensured.